Latest Facts about Kenya, Africa (updated April 2020): Kenya is a country situated in the East Africa. It boarders Uganda, Tanzania,South Sudan and Ethiopia. If you are planning to visit Kenya, below are some facts that could help you get a rough idea about the country at large.
Ethnic Groups in Kenya
Kenya is made up of 42 tribes. Two tribes were recognized in 2017 to make it 44. There are others that are in the process of recognition. Therefore the number may increase in future. Of the 44, Kikuyu, Luhya, Kalenjin, Kamba and Luo tribes hold the largest share of the population according to 2019 Census stats.
Cities in Kenya
Nairobi is the capital city of Kenya. Other citities in Kenya include Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru, Eldoret, Kakamega, Machakos, Kisii, e.t.c
Destinations in Kenya
Kenya has popular holiday destinations which are made up of sunny beaches, game parks and reserves, historical sites, lakes, mountains to mention but a few (Check top 100 destinations in Kenya Here). The most popular destination site is Maasai Mara Park.
Kenya has a presidential system of government. The country gained independence in 1963 from the British and has had 4 presidents since then. (Learn about a brief history of Kenya).
Kenyan government is divided into three independent arms of government (Judiciary, (headed by the chief justice of the supreme court), Parliament (headed by the speaker of parliament) and Executive (headed by the president)
Kenya has 47 counties headed by Governors and supervised by Senators in Parlimanet. Before the new constitution was passed in 2020, Kenya was divided into 8 provinces.
The sporting activity that Kenyan are best at is athletics. Most long distance runners come from the rift valley part of Kenya (Eldoret, Uasin Gishu County).
More Facts about Kenya
Below is a list of facts about country Kenya;
- Ugali is the stable food in Kenya (Learn more about other common foods in Kenya and their recipes)
- The tow official languages spoken in Kenya are Kiswahili and English (Learn basic Kiswahili greetings)
- The main religion of worship in Kenya is Christianity.
- The most known and influential people in kenya currently are (President Uhuru Kenyatta the son of the first president of Kenya and Opposition leader Raila Odinga the son of the first prime minister in Kenya)
- The climate in Kenya comprises of the Savannah grasslands (cool), Highlands, Equatorial, arid and semi arid areas found in the north Eastern part of Kenya
- Kenya’s size is 580,367 km2 (224,081 sq mi)
- Kenya is located between latitudes 5°N and 5°S, and longitudes 34° and 42°E
- Kenya has a population of about 47.5 million people (According to 2019 census)
- The main currency in Kenya is the Kenya Shilling abbreviated as (KES)
- The time zone in Kenya is EAT (UTC+3)
- When driving in Kenya you have to keep left
- The most common killer disease in Kenya is Malaria
- The main cash crop in Kenya is Tea
- The first black American president Barack Obama‘s father is a Kenyan (thanks Wanjohi for the correction).
- Presidential Elections in Kenya are held after every 5 years.
- The Major Airline in Kenya is Kenya Airways (The flag carrier airline of Kenya)
NOTE: This page was lastt updated on 14th April 2020.
Lastly, don’t be in the dark, use the form below to Subscribe for our latest Education News, and interesting campus stuff. You can also comment below for any Question and We Will reply to you.
Make a decent living online by selling pdf Revision Papers, Class notes, Recipes, House Plans, templates, business plans, etc. at muthurwa.com and get paid via Mpesa.
Learn how it works →