Below is a list of Kenya’s most popular and consumed foods. Recipes on how to prepare the meals have been provided in a separate page.
NOTE: The foods have been arranged in alphabetical order. The most common among those listed below are ugali, sukuma wiki, chai, githeri and chapati
- Chai: Milk mixed with tea
- Chapati: A soft flatbread.
- Githeri: Cooked beans mixed with maize
- Irio: A popular dish made with corn and beans.
- Kachumbari: A Kenyan salad.
- karamu: The Swahili word for feast.
- Kuku fry: Fried chiecken
- Maandazi: A fried sweet bread.
- matokes: Small bananas that are very popular in Kenya. Most boiled for heavy consumption. Common among the Kisii tribe
- Nyama choma: Grilled meat.
- Omena: Small fish. Mostly consumed by the Luo tribe in Kenya
- Pilau: Spiced rice.
- Samaki: Fish
- sambusa: A small pastry filled with meat or vegetables.
- sukuma wiki: A popular stew made with kale
- ugali: A cornmeal mush that Kenyans eat at almost every meal.
- Uji: A thin porridge made with cornmeal.
To get Recipes on how prepare all the above meals listed contact us
Do not miss our next update on how to prepare kenyan traditional meals
Lastly, don’t be in the dark, use the form below to Subscribe for our latest Education News, and interesting campus stuff. You can also comment below for any Question and We Will reply to you.
Make a decent living online by selling pdf Revision Papers, Class notes, Recipes, House Plans, templates, business plans, etc. at muthurwa.com and get paid via Mpesa.
Learn how it works →