A child’s first day at school can be hectic and full of anxiety to both the child and the parent. Every child finds it hard to cope in an environment full of unfamiliar people. So how exactly can you as a parent ensure that this process turns out well? We have prepared some 8 helpful tips that will help you prepare your child for their first day at school.
- Before they join school, Plan a visit to the school together with your child to familiarize him or her with the teacher and the school environment.
- If possible make arrangements, for your child to meet some of his or her classmates to be so that they will at least have a friend at the school. It is important for your child to meet familiar faces on their first day as this will ensure they feel comfortable.
- You can also make efforts to familiarize your child with the activities that they will be involved in at school for example singing and drawing.
- Try talking to your child about how their first day at school will be. Explain to them what they should expect on the first day in a positive way. Make school sound as heaven on earth to your child.in doing this you, will make your child look forward to going to school and make him or her to be confident.
- Make sure your child is able to do things for themselves. This will improve their self-help abilities while at school like dressing, taking care of their belongings and going to the toilet by themselves.
Don’t play hide and seek with your child on their first day at school. Trying to sneak when they are not looking will only make things worse for both of you.
- It is also important for you as a parent to avoid being too anxious and emotional on your child’s first day at school. Try as much as possible to be composed because this will make the transition look normal to the child making them stay calm.
How did you prepare your child for their first day at school? Let us know in the comment section below.