Vehicle Lights Driving School Test Questions and Answers
What are Dim Lights ?
These are lights which are switched on when it is getting dark. They are also switched on for a short distance viewing of oncoming vehicles.
What are parking dim lights?
They are lights that are switched on at 6: 45 AM or when it is raining or dusty.
What are full lights?
These are lights used on highways to enable the driver see further
What are hazard lights?
These are vehicle lights that flash at the front and back of the car. They are switched on when they is a hazard or danger.
What are Indicator lights?
These are lights that are used to provide signals to other users when changing lanes, reversing and parking.
What are brake lights?
These are lights that indicate the vehicle is applying brakes.
When can you put the lights during day time?
- When its foggy
- During heavy rainfall
- When its misty
- During emergency
NTSA Driving license Test Questions and Answers
The driving school questions have been listed below in no order;
What is a vehicle?
it is an automobile power driven machine
What is a lane?
It is a path to be followed by the vehicle
Who is a pedestrian?
- Road users on foot
What is the rule of the road in Kenya?
Always keep left unless overtaking
Which side do you overtake from in Kenya?
From the right side
Name three documents which must be valid before you are allowed to drive?
- Valid driving license
- Valid insurance certificate
- Valid vehicle inspection certificate
Which vehicle have right of way?
- Ambulance with siren
- Fire engine with a siren
- Presidential escort with siren
- Police car with a siren
What is the maximum driving speed limit in town?
It is 50Km/h
What is the maximum driving speed limit on highway?
- For Pickups/lorries is 80Km/h
- For Cars it is110Km/h
- For Trailers it is 65Km/h
When are you not allowed to drive despite having the three valid required documents?
- When you are sick
- Under drugs fatigue
What is the Highway Code?
Highway code is a booklet checked and passed by the parliament for rules of road users in Kenya
What do you look for when driving past stationery vehicle?
- Opening of doors
- Pedestrian crossing
What are four important tool you must carry when driving for a safari?
- Car jack
- Spare wheel
- Spot light
Name four causes of accidents in Kenya?
How many wheels does a saloon car have?
Five (four moving one and one spare)
How many eyes does a driver have?
Three (two natural and one artificial)
What should you do first when receiving your driving license for the first time?
Check all the details are correct and sign in ink pen
When there is a white continuous line down a one way traffic road what does it mean?
It means no changing lane
Within what period should an accident be reported at a police station?
As soon as possible but within 24hours
What is the pedestrian crossing?
A safe crossing provided for safe use of pedestrians
What are the rules of the model town board?
- Use the shortest and the most correct route without using parking
- Use the longest and the most correct route without using parking
- Use parking if there is no any other route
Green color on the traffic lights means go except?
- When there is on coming vehicle from right
- When stopped by a police officer
Name four places you cannot stop?
- On round about
- At the junction
- At the center of the road
- Where there is no stopping sign
Where should you not overtake?
- At the junction
- Where there is no overtaking sign
- On the round about
Where does the law require you to stop?
- At the stop sign
- When ordered by the police
- When the traffic lights changes to red
When do you use the mirror when driving?
- When overtaking
- Changing lane
What distance should you keep between two moving vehicles in town?
You should see the behind wheels or the number plate of the vehicle infront
What is the meaning of the letter EAK found at the outer cover of a driving license?
EAK means East Africa Kenya
How should a driver control himself in an uncontrolled roundabout?
You should make sure there is no oncoming vehicle from the right side of the round about
Write down four don’ts of holding a steering wheel?
- Don’t crisscross hands
- Don’t hold with only one hand
- Don’t grip the steering wheel very firmly
- Don’t hold with the elbow
What is the name given to anybody carrying a sign of STOP CHILDREN CROSSING?
Why do we normally press down the clutch peddle when engaging gear?
To disconnect the gear box from the engine
What must you Not do when being overtaken?
You should not accelerate
When can you overtake from left?
- When the vehicle in-front is turning right
- When driving on a one way traffic road with more than one lane
- When there is an accident on the right and there is space on the left
When do we dim our lights at night?
- When meeting on coming vehicle
- When meeting a pedestrian
- On a well lit area
When should you not hoot?
- Near hospital
- Near school
- Near law court
- Where there is NO hooting sign
What time do you switch on light in the evening?
6:30 pm parking lights 6:45pm head light
What do you do before getting out of the vehicle?
Check the side mirror or look over your right shoulder
What are the four important parts to be maintained in a car?
- Steering wheel
When are you not allowed to park?
- At the corner of the road
- Where there is no parking sign
- At the junction
- At the bus stop
What is a caravan?
- It is a mobile car without engine pulled with an engine car and it can be use for accommodation
What should you do when approaching uncontrolled railway crossing at?
- Night – stop,dim lights listen if there is no sound,proceed
- Daytime – stop ,look left and right listen if there is no sound proceed
Which are the four common mistakes made when approaching a round about?
- Approaching the roundabout with wrong lane
- Changing lanes on the roundabout
- Leaving the roundabout the wrong lane
- Observing traffic from wrong side
State five ways to keep your vehicle road worthy?
- Ensure Your wheels are in a good condition
- Ensure all Lights are in a good condition
- Steering wheel is in a good condition
- Brakes are working
- Mirrors are okay
Describe your approach at a pedestrian crossing?
Alert and at a speed of which he can control and stop incase of emergency
How do you hold the steering wheel clockwise?
10 to 2 position and ¼ to 3 position
What do you do if, as crossing by the traffic lights is green then they suddenly change to amber?
You should proceed if you had crossed the stop sign
What is the correct position at the junction when turning?
(a)left : drive at an extreme left
(b)right : drive at an extreme right
What does the green arrow filter on the traffic lights mean?
You should go to the direction shown by the arrows
Which type of vehicles to be taken for inspection?
Which is the strongest gear on a vehicle and why?
Reverse gear because it has no any other alternative gear
Why should you look right twice when approaching a junction?
Right side its near danger
State how you can overtake another vehicle?
- Start indicating right
- If its clear you overtake
- After overtaking you indicate to the left and keep to your side
When the traffic lights show green and you are stopped by police officer, who should you obey?
You should obey police because he is under mandatory
What is a hard shoulder way?
It’s a road where bumps are put closely together
What is another name given to a give way sign?
another name for give way sign is yield
What is the different between a street and an avenue?
A street is where building are to be found along Avenue is where vegetation is to be found along
What is the meaning of AMBER which keeps on flushing every now and then in the traffic lights?
Flushing Amber means control yourself
Which mechanical signal should we put on after involved in a road accident in the middle of the road?
- Hazard light
Which gear should be used to start a loaded lorry and why?
- Gear number one because it is more strong than number two
Which is the biggest roundabout in East Africa?
- Globe cinema round about
Why are commercial vehicles taken for inspection?
- To make sure they are in good condition and road worthy
What is the meaning of MS in driving?
- Ms means mechanical signal
Why is the headlight of motorbikes on always even during the day time?
When riding a motorbike the head lights should be on for them to be seen by other road users
Which signs are circled?
Mandatory and regulatory
Which signs are triangle?
Warning and hazard or cautionary
Which signs have the apex facing upwards?
Why do we observe regulatory signs?
Because they are signs to be observed
What do we call the two major signs in Kenya?
- Priority signs
What is the difference between heavy and light commercial vehicles?
Heavy commercial vehicle are those vehicles which are exceeding 3.05 tonnes tire weight and light commercial vehicle have less than that weight
What is the difference between railway crossing and level crossing?
Railway crossing are those crossing found in the rural areas while level crossing are those crossings found in urban area
What is hazard demarcation?
Hazard demarcation are those reflective plates attached at the edge of the bridge to show then width on the bridge at night
Define term “horn” in a vehicle?
- It is a instrument used to alert other road users of your presence
What is hooting?
- It is a sound produced by a horn
There are three ways one should hoot when driving. which ways are these?
- Once means warning
- Twice means greeting
- Several times means abusing
How many times are you supposed to hoot when
- greeting – twice
- warning – once
- abusing – several times
What is the main function of clutch pedal on a vehicle?
- To connect and disconnect the gear box from the engine
Traffic signs are divided into how many groups?
When you intend to turn what distance should you start indicating?
- You should start indicating at a distance of 50m in advance
What is the difference between turning left and passing left?
When turning left there is a complete change of direction to be made but passing left it is just like to keep left. Is the same as to keep left
What is the difference between a street and an avenue?
- A street is a road where buildings are found along
- Avenue is a road where vegetation is found along
What is an ”engine”?
- Engine is a power generating machine
What is the main purpose of the following documents
- Driving license = to allow you to drive on roads within east Africa
- Insurance certificate = for security purposes
- Vehicle inspection certificate = to show the road worthiness of a vehicle
What is coasting?
It is driving a vehicle for a long distance only with one gear
What is three point turn in driving?
It is driving a vehicle facing to opposite direction with use of reverse and forward gear
Describe the warning sign?
They are red in color, triangular in shape with apex facing upwards
List down two examples of caravan?
- Side car
- Mobile toilet/clinic
Write down all the mechanical signals of a saloon car?
- Headlights, parking lights, brake lights,reverse lights, indicators,number plates light, interior lights and hazards lights
Why must all vehicles be insured?
- For security purposes
What is the meaning of a PDL?
Provisional driving license
What is the use of speed governors and safety belts?
To maintain a specific speed given on highway according to the vehicle you are driving and to reduce the number of injuries during accidents
Class A signs are subdivided into how many group? name the groups and give at least one example
Three groups which include;
- priority signs(stop sign)
- compulsory signs(all vehicles must keep left)
- regulatory signs(no entry)
As a driver, when you come across river bed crossing explain how do you cross it?
- One has to know how deep is the river before you cross by deeping the stick in the water
For more driving school questions and asnwers and tutorials to help you pass your exams, check our Driving school category. It has a lot for you.
You can also read about: 144 Road Signs in Kenya.
You might also want to read this guide: Preparing for NTSA test exams.
For more driving lessons, tutorials and tips join our YouTube channel: Kenyayote Driving
Lastly, don’t be in the dark, use the form below to Subscribe for our latest Education News, and interesting campus stuff. You can also comment below for any Question and We Will reply to you.