This is a guide on how to apply for NTSA smart driving license via TIMS Online portal and get it quickly in Kenya. The license is commonly referred to as the new generation driving license.
What is a smart card driving License?
Smart Driving license is a kind of license that is technology ready. It comes with a chip that contain a drivers details like accident caused, years of driving, vehicle driven e.t.c. It replaces the old driving license that were are used to. It was introduced by Kenya’s National Transport and Safety Board (NTSA)
How to register for any account at NTSA TIMS portal
We had earlier provided a procedure on how create an account at NTSA TIMS portal. You can check the procedure in this page: Guide
How to get new smart driving License in Kenya
Before you begin applying for smart driving license in Kenya be sure to have copies of the following details ID number, phone number, KRA PIN, Ksh 3100 in your mpesa. Now let’s get started;
- Visit: https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/ and login to ensure your credentials are working (if you encounter account login issues then use (step 2) below to resolve them)
- If your account login details are okay, Go to NTSA Likoni Office (we advise this branch because it is not overcrowded. It is located in Likoni Road, Nairobi)
- After getting to the counter, you will be able to login to NTSA computer and access your TIMS account, then make payment of ksh. 3050.
- After completing all the taking biometrics and all personal record stuff, take a screenshot (for evidence purpose)
You are done with the application process
UPDATE: To get smart license,You are required to book an appointment with NTSA to be served without much queuing. An sms will be sent to you when your appointment time or day is ready. To book an appointment just login to your account and click SmartDL appointment.
How long does it take to get smart driving license
It takes about 3 days to get your smart driving license. However, as systems improve the waiting period should have significantly reduced (this waiting period is based on the day this post was published).
Where to Resolve NTSA TIMS login or Activation issues (step 2)
Visit Upperhill NTSA Headquarters and go to Counter 7 where TIMS issues are solved. Be sure to carry you’re a copy of your parent’s ID, your ID and KRA pin for activation of your account. However, if you are details are okay go to the step above.
Be sure to carry some lunch (money) as the queues there are long.
NTSA Tims Login errors and Solutions (step 3)
The most common kind of error when you are login to the NTSA TIMS account is “User not found or the user doesn’t have registered mobile number or login error”
Possible Cause of error: Replacement of ID. If you replace your ID, you serial number changes.
Solution: Follow STEP 2
- If you are getting error on connection kindly try using another browser like internet explore
- If you KRA pin is not being recognized kindly contact KRA for help.
Will the Old Driving License still be used?
Yes, The old driving license will still be in use until 80% of the drivers have acquired the Smart Driving License.
Do not miss all our latest updates on how to apply for a smart driving license in Kenya.