This is a guide on how to apply for NTSA smart driving license via TIMS Online portal and get it quickly in Kenya. The license is commonly referred to as the new generation driving license.
What is a smart card driving License?
A Smart Driving license is a kind of license that is technology ready. It comes with a chip that contains a driver’s details like accidents caused, years of driving, vehicle driven e.t.c. It replaces the old driving license that we are used to. It was introduced by Kenya’s National Transport and Safety Board (NTSA)
How to register for any account at NTSA TIMS portal
We had earlier provided a procedure on how to create an account at NTSA TIMS portal. You can check NTSA TIMS Registration procedure.
How to get new smart driving License in Kenya
Before you begin applying for a smart driving license in Kenya be sure to have copies of the following details ID number, phone number, KRA PIN, Ksh 3100 in your mpesa. Now let’s get started;
- Visit NTSA Tims portal sign in page or register if you do not have an account. If your account login details are not correct Go to NTSA Likoni Office (we advise this branch because it is not overcrowded. It is located in Likoni Road, Nairobi)
- At the login page, enter your id number as the username and password you used when you created your account.
- Click Get Code
- A Verification Code will be sent to your phone number. Enter the code and click sign in.
- Click on Driving License Tab
- Click on Apply for Smart DL. If all your details are correct, click the next button at the bottom of the page.
- Click Pay Button
- You will be redirected to the payment page. Select your payment method, pay, and click the complete button
- After clicking the complete button you will be redirected to a page with your invoice. Click the print button and then click save to download a pdf of the invoice for security and reference purposes.
- After downloading, go back to the web page and click the Submit button
- Select collection location and book the date when your Biometrics will be taken. Green indicates available booking time and date while red indicates that booking time is not available on that date.)
You are done with the application process. You can always reschedule the booking time. Below is a video that illustrates how to apply if you did not understand the procedure above.
UPDATE: To get a smart license, you are required to book an appointment with NTSA to be served without much queuing. An SMS will be sent to you when your appointment time or day is ready. To book an appointment just log in to your account and click SmartDL appointment.
How long does it take to get smart driving license
It takes about 3 weeks to get your smart driving license after your biometrics have been taken. However, as systems improve the waiting period should have significantly reduced (this waiting period is based on the day this post was published).
Where to Resolve NTSA TIMS login or Activation issues (step 2)
Visit Upperhill NTSA Headquarters and go to Counter 7 where TIMS issues are solved. Be sure to carry you’re a copy of your parent’s ID, your ID, and KRA pin for activation of your account. However, if you are details are okay go to the step above.
Be sure to carry some lunch (money) as the queues there are long.
NTSA Tims Login errors and Solutions (step 3)
The most common kind of error when you are login to the NTSA TIMS account is “User not found or the user doesn’t have a registered mobile number or login error”
Possible Cause of error: Replacement of ID. If you replace your ID, your serial number changes.
Solution: Follow STEP 2
- If you are getting error on connection kindly try using another browser like internet explore
- If you KRA pin is not being recognized kindly contact KRA for help.
Will the Old Driving License still be used?
Yes, The old driving license will still be in use until 80% of the drivers have acquired the Smart Driving License.
For more driving tutorials, guides and tips join our YouTube channel: Kenyayote Driving
For those asking in the comment section, here is how to download an interim driving license.