Recipe: Githeri is a simple Kenyan meal enjoyed in most Kenyan homes. Full of nutrients, the delicacy is considered one of the balanced meals to have on a tight budget. Below is a procedure on how to prepare Githeri.
Ingredients of cooking githeri
- 1 cup dried beans
- 2 cups soft corn maize
- 2 large onions chopped
- 3 large tomatoes chopped into cubes
- 2 gloves of garlic grated
- 1 ginger grated
- A bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 spoonful of cooking oil
- 2 beef Royco cubes.
Procedure of how to cook githeri
- Place the dried beans in a large container and soak overnight or for at least 4 hours
- Drain off the water from the beans and wash then with fresh water.
- In a large Sufuria pour in the maze grains and mix with the beans. Add water to slightly cover the mixture and place over high heat. Let cook for one hour or until everything is soft and well cooked. Remove from heat.
- Place a Sufuria with chopped onions and cooking oil over medium heat and let the onions brown.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir. Let the mi cook for two more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and let cook until they are soft and crushed.
- Pour in the cooked beans and maize and stir until everything is well mixed up.
- Sprinkle some salt and Royco cubes and stir. You can ass some water or coconut milk at this point if you so desire.
- Cover and let simmer under low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the coriander leaves. Cover for 3 more minutes.
Your githeri is now ready and can be served with Kachumbari and a glass of cold fresh fruit juice. Enjoy!
Do not miss our latest updates on cooking traditional Kenyan Githeri meal