Most Kenyans have enjoyed fermented porridge at one time in their life. The meal is child friendly and a great nutritional options to sick people. Below is a procedure of how to prepare Uji.
Ingredients of of cooking Uji
- ½ a cup of millet flour
- Sugar to taste ( Optional)
- 1 teaspoonful of butter (optional)
Procedure of preparing Uji
- Pour the millet flour in a large container with a fitting lid and add two cups of water as you mix well to form a slightly thick consistent paste. Cover with the lid and place in a dry place for 2 days to ferment.
- You can now remove the top layer that would have formed, stir and set the mixture aside.
- In a sufuria pour in two large cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the fermented mixture bit by bit as you mix until you get a slightly thin consistent mixture.
- Place the fermented mixture aside and continue mixing the uji in a circular motion until you see bubbles.
- Add butter and sugar and let boil for 3 more minute.
- Remove from heat and pour into a thermos flask or container of your choice.
Your porridge is now ready and you can have it with a snack of your choice or plain. Enjoy
Do not miss all our Uji Recipes