Brown ugali is enjoyed among Kenyan people and more common to people with specific ailments such as diabetes and hypertension. It is also served in celebrations in most parts of Western Kenya.
Ingredients of cooking brown ugali
- 500g millet/cassava flour
- 1 teaspoonful of cooking oil/butter
- 2 cups of water.
Procedure preparing brown ugali
- Pour the water into a Sufuria and place over medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- Add the teaspoonful of cooking oil or butter and let it boil/melt for a minute. This is for the ugali not to turn too sticky.
- Add the flour in bits as you stir with a cooking stick until you get a heavy porridge like mixture. Let it boil for two minutes.
- Add the remaining floor in bits as you stir the mixture and press it against the sufuria to get rid of the flour lumps. You have to be consistent in your pressing for best results.
- Let the now hardned mixture cooking for two minutes before turning it over and letting it cook for another minute.
- Mold the ugali into a round lump and place a plate over the Sufuria and turn it over to place the ugali on the plate.
- Your brown ugali is now ready and is best served while hot.
Serve with meat, beans and vegetables of your choice and enjoy.
Do not miss all our updates on how to prepare Kenyan traditional meals