Curriculum Reforms in Kenya: In a gazette notice dated June 21 2019, the ministry of education has called for the submission of views from the public on the Curriculum Reforms Implementation and in particular Competency Based Curriculum (CBC). The notice is available below.
CBC Implementation public participation Gazette notice
The Gazette notice reads (transcribed from Image to text by Kenyayote);
The Cabinet Secretary for Education through a Gazette Notice No. 5328 of 21st June 2019 constituted A Taskforce on Enhancing Access, Relevance, Transition, Equity and Quality for effective curriculum Reforms Implementation.
In Compliance with the requirement of Article 10 (2) of the Kenya Constitution on public participation and requirement of Articles 4 (i) of the Basic Education Act, 2013, the Taskforce is currently receiving views from stakeholders to inform the implementation of the Competency Based Curriculum (CBC).
The taskforce is therefore requesting for submission of memoranda from individuals, public and private institutions, and all interested parties. The memoranda should address the following areas;
- Transition of Grade 6 Cohort (of CBC) and Standard 7 and 8 (of 8-4-4) pupils in 2024;
- Domiciling of Grade 7, 8 and 9 within Basic Education Structure;
- Competency Based assessment for the reformed curriculum;
- Strategies for implementation of senior secondary pathways;
- Conceptualization of competency based pre-service teacher education;
- Design and implementation of Values-Based Education, Community service Learning and parental empowerment and Engagement programmes.
- Transition from Basic to tertiary education and training; and;
- Any other issues that the Taskforce needs to consider for curriculum reforms implementation
The memorandum should also take into consideration Special Needs Education (the gifted and talented, learners with disabilities, vulnerable and learners with learning disabilities).
The memoranda should be sent to the Chairperson, Taskforce on curriculum Reforms implementation, Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development; P.O box 30231-00100, Nairobi or emailed to email@example.com or hand delivered to KICD main reception by Friday, 20th September 2019.