In simple terms, the Kenyan Competency-based Curriculum (CBC) is a new system of education designed by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) team and launched by the ministry of education in 2017. The CBC is designed to emphasize the significance of developing skills and knowledge and also applying those competencies to real-life situations.
7 Core competencies of CBC
The creators of the competency-based curriculum envision that at the end of the learning period, every learner should have achieved the following competencies
- Communication and collaboration
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Imagination and creativity
- Learning to learn
- Digital literacy
CBC life values
At the end of the learning period the learner should have been molded to have the following values’;
Levels of competency-based curriculum
CBC is divided into three levels as illustrated in the figure below
- Early Years Education
- Middle School Education
- Senior School
What is diﬀerent in the new curriculum?
- Class are now called Grade.
- ECD has two levels only (Pre-Primary 1 and 2) that is PP1 and PP2
- Subject areas are now reoffered to as learning areas.
- Topics/sub-topics are now known as strands/sub-strands.
- learning outcomes is the new term that replaces lesson objectives.
- learning resources are used instead of teaching aids.
Infographic illustrating the competency based curriculum
Information in the above illustration was obtained from Details of 2-6-6-3 curriculum design
NOTE: The above image can be visible clearly on a computer. If you are viewing it on your mobile phone just download and expand it.
You might also be interested to learn about CBC assessment and grade transition.
CBC Schemes of work, lesson plans, and notes
For CBC schemes of work, lesson plans, and notes visit: Muthurwa Marketplace
Do not miss all our updates on understanding the competency-based curriculum in Kenya
Lastly, do you have any question about this post or something else? We are responding. Ask us a question or register to join a community of thousands of members that receive latest education news.