Working at UN Kenya: Below is a guide on United Nations (UN) job and Internship requirements and sample Competency based Interview Questions pdf.
What educational qualifications do I need to work for the UN?
The various jobs available at the UN have their own specific requirements. While some positions require one to be a holder of a bachelor’s degree, others require a master’s degree or a Ph.D. Nonetheless, to qualify for a majority of the positions in the UN require an individual to be a holder of a master’s degree in global studies and international relations.
Having some experience in global studies and international relations increases the chances of being hired by the UN due to the experience gained in global and issues in your field of study. Being conversant with international issues and having the necessary knowledge of international theories, policies, diplomacy , research and investigation methods amongst others will brace you for the international positions at the UN.
Key skills and competencies required to work for the UN
Some of the key competencies required to work at the United Nations in Nairobi, Kenya, or anywhere in the world are;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Should be a team worker
- Ability to plan and organize work in accordance with the goals of the organization
- Ability to be innovative in finding new ways of solving issues
- Respect for diversity
What job opportunities are available at the United Nations?
Below are the several career paths that are available at the UN which might interest you.
- Information and telecommunication technology careers
- Management and administration careers
- Political peace and humanitarian careers
- Public information and conference management
- Legal careers
- Internal security and safety careers
- Logistics transportation and supply chain careers.
United Nations Students and Graduate Opportunities
The UN also provides several opportunities for career development of young professionals who are passionate about finding global solutions to modern day challenges. However, gaining entry to Un programmes is often hard and requires a lot of effort but with persistence and dedication, you can get gain entry to one of the UN programmes geared towards promoting the development of young professionals and hopefully get a job at the UN. Below are the major programmes of the UN for young professionals.
- The UN Internship Programme
- The Junior Professional Officer (JPO) Programme
- The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) Programme
- The Young Professionals Programme
United Nations sample Competency based Interview Questions
PS. This article is brought to you by muthurwa.com, a website where students and graduates make a living online in Kenya through selling classs notes, house plans, themes, revision papers, tutorials e.t.c and get paid via mpesa.
Get all out latest updates for United Nations career requirements in Kenya
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.