Omena Recipe and how to cook: Omena is a Kenyan most meal enjoyed by Lakeside or Coastal area. However, like any Kenyan meal, it has been tasted in most Kenyan homes. Here is a simple recipe to a mouthwatering Omena meal;
Ingredients of cooking Omena
- 500g dried omena
- 1 large onion(chopped)
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (chopped
- A bunch of fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Green Bella pepper (cubed)
- 2 Royco cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 gloves of garlic grated
Procedure of preparing Omena
- Carefully get of all the dirty residues from the omena and place it in a clean container.
- Pour warm water to the omena until it’s slightly covered. Leave it to soak for 3 minutes.
- Wash the omena by rubbing it between the balms of your hands. When the water gets too dirty change it and continue the process until the water is almost Clear.
- Squeeze off the extra water from the omena and set it aside
- Pour two spoonfuls of cooking oil into a Sufuria or saucepan and set it on medium heat.
- Wait for the oil to get and pour in the omena and stir. Stir continually until the omena turns golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- Place another sufuria with a spoonful of oil on heat and pour in the chopped onions. Let the onions turn golden brown and then add garlic. Mix well.
- Add the chopped Bella pepper and continue stirring for two minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir well until they are tender and crushed
- Add the omena and mix well. Add a pinch of salt, royco cubes and mix.
- You can now add the chopped coriander leaves. Stir for 1 minute and remove from heat. Your omena is now ready to serve!
Omena can be served with vegetables and enjoyed with ugali. Or feasted on their own as a snack. Some people enjoy it with rice.
Do not miss all our updates on how to preparer Luo delicious
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.