Omena Recipe and how to cook: Omena is a Kenyan most meal enjoyed by Lakeside or Coastal area. However, like any Kenyan meal, it has been tasted in most Kenyan homes. Here is a simple recipe to a mouthwatering Omena meal;
Ingredients of cooking Omena
- 500g dried omena
- 1 large onion(chopped)
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (chopped
- A bunch of fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Green Bella pepper (cubed)
- 2 Royco cubes
- Salt to taste
- 2 gloves of garlic grated
Procedure of preparing Omena
- Carefully get of all the dirty residues from the omena and place it in a clean container.
- Pour warm water to the omena until it’s slightly covered. Leave it to soak for 3 minutes.
- Wash the omena by rubbing it between the balms of your hands. When the water gets too dirty change it and continue the process until the water is almost Clear.
- Squeeze off the extra water from the omena and set it aside
- Pour two spoonfuls of cooking oil into a Sufuria or saucepan and set it on medium heat.
- Wait for the oil to get and pour in the omena and stir. Stir continually until the omena turns golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- Place another sufuria with a spoonful of oil on heat and pour in the chopped onions. Let the onions turn golden brown and then add garlic. Mix well.
- Add the chopped Bella pepper and continue stirring for two minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir well until they are tender and crushed
- Add the omena and mix well. Add a pinch of salt, royco cubes and mix.
- You can now add the chopped coriander leaves. Stir for 1 minute and remove from heat. Your omena is now ready to serve!
Omena can be served with vegetables and enjoyed with ugali. Or feasted on their own as a snack. Some people enjoy it with rice.
Do not miss all our updates on how to preparer Luo delicious