Migori County Senate by elections is a contest between ODM’s Ochilo Ayacko and Eddy Oketch. (UPDATE: Ochilo Ayacko has emerged the winner of the Migori Senatorial seat with 85,234 votes while his closest Eddy Oketch comes in second with 60,555.
When is Migori Senate By Election?
Migori senatorial race went down on Monday 8th October 2018, a date set by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC). The two main candidates were Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) party candidate Ochilo Ayacko George Mbogo and Federal Party’s Oketch Eddy Gicheru.
Migori County Senate By-election Facts and Figures
Below is a summary of facts about Migori Senate by election;
- According to IEBC, there are 6 candidates (Jobando Peter Osieko, Mbogo Gerpger Ochilo ayacko, Ogola dickson, Okectch eddy gicheru, otieno samwel and rugaria Solomon hodo)
- There are 8 constituencies in Migori County (Rongo, Awendo, Uriri, Suna West, Suna East, Nyatike, Kuria East and Kuria West)
- Current Governor: Zachary Okoth Obado (elected on ODM party)
- Migori County Number of Registered Voters: 388,633
- Migori County Number of Polling stations: 826 polling stations
Why Migori County Senate by Election is a hotly contested race
Migori County is an ODM stronghold led by the party leader Raila Odinga. However, ODM is worried that the Deputy President William Ruto wants to make political entry into the region through Federal Party candidate Oketch Eddy Gicheru. That is why ODM can’t afford to lose the seat through its candidate Ochilo Ayacko.
Ochilo Oyako had lost the governor seat after losing the 2017 ODM party primaries to now governor Zachary Okoth Obado by 59411 votes to 110142 votes respectively . He thereafter decided to run for the senatorial position after the passing of the then senator Ben Oluoch Okello in June 2018 which prompted a by election.
Who is Achilo Ayako
Achilo Ayako was the Member of Parliament for Rongo Constituency from 2002 to 2007. He also served in 2004 as the Minister of Energy in the Kibaki government. He is also a business person.
Who is Eddy Oketch?
Eddy Oketch is a new entrant into politics having contested for the first time in 2017. He is the founder of Oketch Gicheru Trust. He also serves in the board of Ulanda Girls High
IEBC Migori Senate By Election Results
Final results of the Migori Senate by Election as read by the IEBC Tallying officer;
- Jobando Peter Osieko votes: 555 votes
- Mbogo Gerpger Ochilo ayacko: 85,234 votes (winner)
- Ogola Dickson votes: 654 votes
- Okectch Eddy Gicheru: 60,555 votes
- Otieno Samuel votes: 457 votes
- Rugaria Solomon Hodo votes: 285 votes
Do not miss all our latest news updates from Migori County Senate By election results
Lastly, don’t be in the dark, use the form below to Subscribe for our latest Education News, and interesting campus stuff. You can also comment below for any Question and We Will reply to you.
Make a decent living online by selling pdf Revision Papers, Class notes, Recipes, House Plans, templates, business plans, etc. at muthurwa.com and get paid via Mpesa.
Learn how it works →