This articles guides you on how to apply for a certificate of good conduct online in Kenya through the eCitizen portal. This is the same procedure used for renewing of expired certificate of good conduct upon which you can download. A certificate of good conduct has a validity period of one year and is also referred to as Police Clearance Certificate. It is provided by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
Importance of a Certificate of good conduct in Kenya
It is often common in Kenya for one to be asked to provide a certificate of good conduct in various instances, especially when seeking employment. Every employer wants to ensure that you have a clean criminal record before you are hired or even considered for any position. The certificate of good conduct helps the employer to know that you are indeed a law abiding citizen with good morals and character. Today, you can easily apply for a certificate of good conduct online in Kenya, we have provided a simple guideline that will help you apply for a certificate of good conduct online at the comfort of your personal computer, smartphone or a cybercafé.
Eligibility of applying for a Certificate of good conduct
The following are the people who are eligible to apply for a certificate of good conduct in Kenya:
- Kenyan citizens within and outside the country
- Foreign citizens.
- Foreign citizens including aliens and refugees in Kenya.
Requirements of applying for a certificate of good conduct
The following are the requirements that are to be met by all applicants of a certificate of good conduct in Kenya:
- Must have attained the age of 18 years old and above
- An original ID and its photocopy.
- For those under the age of 18, a copy of their original birth certificate should be provided.
- A fee of kes 1050.
- Two copies of the invoice downloaded from the eCitizen website.
- A printed copy of the C24 also downloaded from the eCitizen website.
- Foreigners applying for a certificate of good conduct will be required to provide a letter explaining the need of for the certificate, the original and a copy of the identification documents and a fee of kes 1000.
How to apply for a certificate of good conduct online (through eCitizen Portal)
- Log in to the eCitizen portal or create an account if you don’t have one. Under 18s should use their parents’s eCitizen account.
- Click on the link Directorate of Criminal Investigations and select get services now.
- Select the mode of payment and click on make application and then proceed with the application process by clicking on apply now.
- The next step involves filling details on the date when you would like to have your fingerprints taken and the location. The copy of your C24 and the two copies of your invoice. The documents should be printed on both sides of an A4 paper and presented to the department headquarters of the Directorate of Criminal Investigations where you would like to have your fingerprints taken or Huduma Center DCI Desk.
- Then Book Appointment for finger taking and take the forms mentioned above.
- Once everything has been processed and approved, you will be notified via a text or email on how to download your certificate of good conduct. Always ensure that you follow all the instructions during the application process and seek assistance from nearby police station or any Huduma center near you. If you are not sure if there is a Huduma Centre near your location, this article provides a list of all the Huduma centers in Kenya.
Road Map Direction to CID
If you want manually apply for a certificate of good conduct kindly visit CID offices at Kiambu road. Just on your way to Karura Forest. Check our Nairobi Matatu routes and stages if you want to use public means from CBD to CID. If you are using personal, take Thika road from CBD and branch to the left and Join Kiambu Road. Drive straight for about 10 minutes (when there is no jam). CID is on the right side of the road.
UPDATE: Manual application of Certificate of Good Conduct is now not available. You have to apply online, book appointment, go for finger print taking and download your E-police clearance certificate.
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.