Mukimo Recipe: Mukimo is a meal whose origin is Central Kenya (Agikuyu community) but it’s being served in hotels across the country keeping in mind of the diversity of Kenyan people.So if you have been wondering on how to prepare these meal at home,here is a simple recipe to guide you through.
Ingredients of cooking Mukimo meal
- 1 kg Irish potatoes(select fresh for better taste)
- 2 handfuls of pumpkin leaves/spinach(soft and fresh)
- 3 cups of soft maize off the cob
- A bunch of spring onions(finely chopped)
- A spoonful of cooking oil
- Salt to taste
Procedure of cooking Mukimo meal
- Carefully peel the potatoes and slice them into halves,wash them clean and set aside.
- Prepare the pumpkin leaves by removing the stalk and shred them into sizeable pieces.You can also blend them for richer colour.lf you are using spinach you just need to shredbit alittle as well.
- Mix the pumpkin leaves,maize and potatoes in a Sufuria and add some water.Just enough for everything to cook well.
- Place the Sufuria or cooking pot on fire and let the mixture boil for 30 minutes under medium heat.Open and add a pinch of salt and let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Reduce the heat and mush everything together using a wooden spoon until all blends in well.Remove from.heat and set aside.
- In another larger pot/Sufuria,pour in the spring onions and cooking oil and place on fire.Mix until the onions turm golden brown then adjust the heat to minimal and add the Mashed mixture.Mix well.
- You can now remove from the heat and serve while hot.
Mukimo can be served with beef stew,chicken stew and Kachumbari on the side.A cold fruit juice will also come in handy.
Do not miss all our recipes on how to cook traditional kikuyu foods
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.