Every month deaths of students are reported from different universities across Kenya. Most of the deaths are related to negligence of services offered to students by university staff or killing of some students due to conflict of interests. Thereafter, students demonstrate expressing their anger over the same. They are either suspended and huge fines imposed on them upon re-opening but answers are never given as to what led to the death of their fellow students.
The role that Kenya University student organization (KUSO) led by Babu Owino plays is questionable. KUSO appears to be a dead body just existing by name or its leaders are easily compromised once cases of murder of students emerge.
Presented below is unfortunate cases of deaths that people stopped questioning after the noise went down. The aim of this post is to reflect on the failures of our student unions. The information supplied below is a narration of media reports, reliable blogs and kenyayote. We hope that KUSO officials will read this and wake up.
- Collins Kotiato: 23 years fourth year student at Maseno University who died under mysterious circumstances. No explanation has been given to the family as to why and who killed their son. KUSO has done nothing about it. (Story reported by Standard Media).
- Brenda Udidah: A 2nd year student in Maseno University who died due to Negligence in University Health Centers. Those responsible have not been brought to book and KUSO has done nothing about it (Story reported by Kenyayote)
- Abigael Chesang: Third Year Bachelor of Education student at Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) died due to medical negligence. KUSO has not given any report about the same (Story reported by Kenyayote).
- Elvis Nyabate: 3rd year engineering technical university of Mombasa student who was Electrocuted to death (Story reported by Kenyayote)
- Boniface Mwanzia : Egerton University second year student pursuing a degree in Economics and Statistics. He is alleged to have committed suicide but some students claim he was killed and that the suicide allegations were meant to cover up the real cause of his death (story reported by Kenyayote).
- Charity Maina: Moi University third-year Bachelor of Education student who has raped by unknown people to death. The student union has remained silence about the same (Story by Kenyayote).
- Kevin Omondi: 26 year old Kenyatta University student was found murdered. The cause of his death has not been established (Story reported by Kenyans.co.ke)
- Julius Omondi and Mohammed Yusuf: University of Nairobi students killed at the halls residents.
- Felix Magomere and Dennis Nyagena: Egerton University students killed by police in a case of mistaken identity.
- Peter Maina Mwaura: Laikipia University student who died due to medical negligence in the university.
The list is long…….
Above are just but a few of the cases of students deaths. Most of the reported deaths above are no more being investigated while others are hid under the name of “Investigations are ongoing.”