Kenyan Pilau Recipe and preparing: Pilau is a meal most attributed to the coastal people but enjoyed across Kenyans of all social classes. It is seen as a meal of celebration hence prepared on special occasions. So if you are having a party soon or just wish to smell the aroma of Pilau in your home, here is a simple recipe to get you started;
Ingredients of coking Pilau
- 1/2 kg of high quality rice
- 3 large onion chopped
- 4 gloves of garlic
- 1teaspoonful of pilau masala
- 3 teaspoons cardamom pods
- A pinch full of Fernugreek seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 beef cubes
- 1/2 kg of beef
- 4 peppercorns
- 5 large tomatoes grated
- Cooking oil
- 1 ginger grated
- 500g potatoes peeled and sliced
Procedure of coking Pilau
- Boil the meat until it’s fully cooked. Drain off the excess water into a container and place aside.
- Soak the rice in water as you wait for the meat to cook.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a frying pan and toss them for 3 minutes. Place them into a bowl and crush.
- Place the onions, oil into a large sufuria and place on medium heat. Let the onions brown before adding garlic and ginger and mix well until they fully cook.
- Add thE dry ingredients and pilau masala and stir.
- Add the boiled meat and stir well for 2 minutes. Add the tomato puree and continue stirring.
- Pour in the rice, potatoes and mix. Add salt, beef cubes and salt. Pour in the beef broth and stir.
- Cover and reduce heat. Let it cook for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve with Kachumbari and fruit juice. Enjoy!
Do not miss all our updates on how to cook swahili pilau the Kenyan way.