Safaricom, Kenya’s largest Telecommunication company has a launched an ecommerce platform called Masoko. While releasing their financial half year results (2017), safaricom indicated that they were optimistic that masoko will be a giant online shopping website akin to Amazon. Below is a summary of Safaricom’s Ecommerce platform. (Update: Official Masoko website: masoko.com)
About Masoko Ecommerce
Masoko is lifestyle and brand Kenya ecommerce website.
- Payment methods are two: Credit Cards ( Master card, Visa Card) and Mobile Money – LIPA NA MPESA and AIRTEL. No cash on delivery payment.
- Masoko on Official website: https://www.masoko.com
- Masoko on Facebook: Masoko Africa
- Masoko on Twitter: Masoko Africa
Safaricom’s brief explanation as to why they launched an eCommerce website
- Kenya has a huge untapped potential for e-commerce.
- Kenya customers are also savvy in using mobile technology to manage their financial transactions
My thoughts about Safaricom’ venture into ecommerce platform
It appears Safaricom has adopted Amazon’s business model or expansion strategy. Like amazon, they started offering website services. Like amazon, they have opened an ecommerce website. Like amazon Echo and Tap they launched mpesa tap and so on….
Safaricom has enough money and manpower to invest in any kind of project that they want in Kenya. They also have a ready market base and advertising platform. But I think it will take decades for Masoko to beat Jumia or get any closer to it.
About 3 years ago Safaricom ventured into web hosting services but it is doing terribly bad. I have got a number of clients asking me to help them migrate their websites from Safaricom hosting. They also launched theBigBox which i give a C+ on its acceptability in the market. What makes you think that Masoko will succeed? Lets wait and see.
Do not miss all our latest updates about Masoko Ecommerce
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.