What follows is a procedure on how to apply for a birth certificate online in Kenya using the eCitizen portal.
Birth Certificate is an important official document that each person born in Kenya must have. It contains name, place of birth, date of birth and parents name or identity.
You can apply for child’s birth certificate online. Adults can also apply for late birth certificate registration.
Requirements of applying for a birth Certificate
For one to apply for a birth certificate, the followings documents are required.
- Scanned copy of both parents identification (ID) card. Single parents can produce one copy.
- Scanned copy of birth notification.
- Scanned copy of national identification (ID) card for those above 18 years.
- Scanned copy of original birth certificate for those who want replacement.
The above documents should be saved and uploaded in PDF format.
For children, application must done using one of the parent’s eCitizen account.
How to apply for a birth certificate via eCitizen portal
Step of applying for a birth certificate are.
- Log in to your eCitizen account. For those who don’t have one you can create an account.
- Go to Civil Registration Department click ‘Get Service’.
- Click ‘make application’ to get started.
- Select Birth Certificate.
- Fill the online application form.
- Upload all required documents.
- Remember to choose where you would like to collect your birth certificate.
- When you finish to fill the form click ‘continue’ so that you can proceed to pay for your application. Choose the mode of payment you would like to use. You will be required to pay Ksh. 180.
- Print invoice and use it when needed.
- Once the birth certificate is ready for collecting, you will be sent an SMS.
When collecting Birth Certificate make sure you go with:
- Parents original national identification card.
- application payment invoice
- Original birth Notification.
Important: For those applying for new birth certificates it should be done 30 days after the date of birth.