The 14th edition of Safaricom SOYA awards, a brainchild of famed long-distance runner Paul Tergat, went down at the KICC yesterday night (18th January 2018). Find below a complete list of all the 2018 winner of the SOYA awards.
The awards seek to recognize and rewards outstanding sports personalities and teams in the country every year.
List of Safaricom SOYA award winners 2018
- Sportswoman of the year – Hellen Obiri
- Sportsman of the year – Conseslus Kipruto
- Women’s Sports team of the year – Kenya Lionesses (rugby)
- Men’s Sports team of the year – Kenya u19 Cricket Team
- Sportswoman of the year with disability – Beryl Wamira (Deaflympics)
- Sportsman of the year with disability – Samuel Muchai (Paralympics)
- Coach of the year – Jimmy Kamande (Cricket U19)
- Player of the year (Schools category) – Faith Nyaberi
- School Team of the year (boys) – Muhiri Muchiri Secondary (rugby team)
- School Team of the year (girls) – Wiyeta Girls (Football)
- School Coach of the year – Kikechi Kombo (Muhuri Muchiri Secondary)
- Sports Federation of the year – Athletics Kenya
- Schools Most Outstanding player – Emmanuel Ndonga (swimming)
- Most Promising Girl – Jackline Wambui (U18 800m World Champion)
- Most Promising Boy – Aman Gandhi (Cricket U19)
- 2017 SOYA Hall of Fame Winners – Stephen Muchoki (Boxing) & Allan Thigo (Gor Mahia)
- Community Hero – Roselyne Kapondi (former Harambee Starlets goalkeeper)
In his speech, Paul Tergat – who is the patron of SOYA awards, pledged to deliver as President of National Olympics Committee of Kenya and ensure that sports in the country excel.
Deputy President William Ruto, who also gave a speech at the awards, said that five new stadia will be complete by April 2018.
Ruto also hailed the importance of sports given the key role it plays in uniting Kenyans.
The overall sports personality of the year bagged Kshs. 1 million while winners in each category took home Kshs. 0.5 million.
Do not miss all our updates on SOYA award winners