The Kenya Solar water heating regulations of 2012 brought by the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) were passed in the year 2012 and property owners were given five years to install solar water systems in their houses. The deadline was later extended from May 25, 2017 to November 25th 2017. This article provides a detailed explanation of what this law is all about, who it affects and what home owners should do.
Understanding the Solar Water Heating Regulations, 2012
This is what you need to know about the regulation
- All buildings with 3+ bedrooms and with hot water use exceeding one 100 litres per day shall install solar heating systems from approved distributors
- Kenya Power will stop providing electricity supply to buildings where a solar water heating system has not been installed (this is the last resort)
- For one to install the solar water heating system, he or she has to be licensed solar water heating system technician or contractor by the Energy Regulatory Commission
- This law applies to those buildings that were built after the bill came into law (that is about five years ago)
- The ERC law only applies to low residential areas as listed below
- The law requires that ERC gives the owner of the building a 6 months notice failure to which it shall charge him/her
- Failure to comply with the Solar Water Heating Regulations, 2012 can attract a fine of upto 1 million or 1 year jail sentence.
List of premises that require to to have Solar Water Heating system
- Domestic residential houses (3 bedroom)
- Educational Institutions such colleges and boarding schools (20 students)
- health institutions (Hospitals, Health centers, Clinics etc)
- Laundries (20 Kg of clothes)
The prices of solar water heater panels in Kenya
The price of solar water heater panels in Kenya is Ksh. 125k to 150k for domestic residential houses and 600k to 2 million for commercial residential houses (the price range differes depending on the vendor). The price is likely to go downs as demand increases.
List of Solar Water heater companies, Vendors in Kenya
You can buy solar water heaters from the following companies.
- Chloride Oxide Solar Energy- chlorideexide.com
- Power Point Reliable Energy Solutions–powerpoint.co.ke
- Kenital Solar-Kenital.com
- Steelstone Kenya Limited– steelstone.co.ke
PS. We recommend shopping from chloride oxide
Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) official contacts
- Office Location: 1St Floor, Eagle Africa Centre, Longonot Road, Upper Hill, Nairobi
- Telephone Number: 0708444000
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official Website: http//www.erc.go.ke
- Renewable Energy Portal-renewableenergy.go.ke
Do not miss all our latest updates about the Solar water heating energy regulation in Kenya
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.