Find below full statement issued by Education CS Amina Mohamed which directs all schools to use CBC curriculum for Pp1, pp2, Grade 1, Grade 2 and Grade 3 teaching.
Statement by CS Amina Mohamed on CBC Curriculum implementation
STATEMENT STARTS BELOW
Happy New Year colleagues!
I thank God for making it possible for all of you to attend this very important meeting that gives me an early opportunity to spell out the Ministry’s Agenda for 2019. This meeting has assembled a critical team of staff who will steer the execution of the Competency Based Curriculum (CBC) National Implementation in Early Years Education (EYE). The delivery of the CBC will officially commence countrywide starting tomorrow in PP1, PP2 and Grades 1 to 3.
I want to state unequivocally from the onset that the successful implementation of the CBC must be our foremost imperative. I can confirm to you that His Excellency President Uhuru Kenyatta and all relevant Government agencies will accord us the support necessary to implement this programme. I therefore wish to reiterate that we have no option of failure.
Today, you will be issued with relevant tips, documents and manuals that will enable you to cascade the expected high standards of implementation to all officers under you. You will also receive the necessary tools to enable you monitor the delivery of the new curriculum in schools within your jurisdiction.
A special Desk and Call Centre will be established at the KICD to respond to public inquiries regarding the CBC.
We have also developed a solid communication plan that will provide regular updates on the progress of the CBC implementation.
Guidelines for the National CBC Implementation Plan
I expect all Directorates and Semi-Autonomous Government Agencies of the Ministry to carry out their mandate expeditiously to ensure that the implementation and rollout of CBC starts smoothly and effectively. I also expect each and every one of you to gear up for an intensive year where excuses and lapses in putting together basic instruments to drive this process shall not be tolerated.
In view of this, field officers must do the following to guide the implementation of CBC in Early Years Education are as follows:-
- Confirm that all public primary schools have, and are using, CBC curriculum designs for Pre-primary 1 and 2 and, Grades 1, 2 and 3 as developed by KICD. The designs will guide the teachers to effectively deliver the curriculum. In 2018, 21,627 public primary schools received four volumes of the CBC curriculum. It’s important for the field officers to alert the Ministry and KICD if there is any school within their jurisdiction with no curriculum designs.
- Today, the Ministry will issue you with a circular on CBC implementation 2019 detailing how lesson timetables will be prepared. You are required to advise all schools to enforce details of the circular, including ensuring that each lesson lasts 30 minutes. Further, there shall be five lessons in Pre-primary and 7 lessons in lower primary per day.
- Ensure that course books and other instructional materials reach all the public primary schools. In PP1 and PP2, the list contains titles on the following Activity Areas: Language Activities, Mathematical Activities, Environmental Activities, Psychomotor and Creative Activities and Religious Education Activities. In Grades one, two, and three, the list contains titles in the following areas: Kiswahili Activities, Literacy Activities, English Activities, Mathematics Activities, Environmental Activities, Hygiene and Nutrition Activities, Christian Religious Education, Hindu Religious Education, Islamic Religious Education and Movement and Creative Activities.
- The Ministry and KICD will ensure that course books and teacher’s guides required for implementation of CBC are available in schools on time.
- Confirm that only KICD approved books are used in schools.
- Update the Directorate of Primary Education and KICD on the progress made in the distribution of books.
- Jointly, with KICD, TSC, KNEC and KEMI, organise training sessions for teachers, Curriculum Support Officers (CSOs), Sub-county Directors of Education (SCDEs) and Quality Assurance and Standards Officers (QASOs).
- Support schools in respective Counties to develop and implement strategies that will enhance awareness among parents on their roles in the implementation of the CBC.
- Ensure Curriculum Support Officers (CSOs), SCDEs and QASOs continuously and consistently monitor, supervise and provide professional support to head teachers and teachers in the CBC delivery.
- Regular reports on curriculum delivery and school environment and infrastructure should be submitted to the CDE’S office and consequently forwarded to the ministry directorate of quality assurance standards and KICD
END OF CS Amina’s STATEMENT ON CBC IMPLEMENTATION
NOTE: For pp1, pp2, Grade 1, Grade 2, and Grade 3 CBC schemes of work visit: Muthurwa.com
Do not miss all our latest updates on the implementation of the CBC Curriculum.
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.