The University of Nairobi has been closed indefinitely following last week’s violent unrest over former student leader Babu Owino’s detention over hate speech. The protests saw police make their way into the institution and rain terror on students, some of whom did not take part in the protests.
While issuing a statement on the step to close the institution, Vice Chancellor Prof. Peter Mbithi said the University Senate arrived at the decision following the worsening security situation. Students were asked to vacate school premises not later than 9am.
Earlier today students from the institution’s Lower Kabete campus took to the streets and blocked roads in protest of last week’s police brutality.
Reportedly, one of the victims of the brutality succumbed to injuries. However, Prof. Mbithi denied allegations of any loss of life. Mbithi came under fire from students and the general public after allowing police to invade the campus and exact untold brutality on both students and lecturers.
In widely shared videos, police can be seen bursting into halls of residence and beating up students, both male and female. In others they are seen throwing tear gas into a room and closing the windows.
— 💰💲 (@Vintage_2018) October 1, 2017
Inspector General of police, Joseph Boinnet followed the now too common script of denying that police used excessive force in quelling the riots. When probed on the numerous video evidence that clearly showed the brutality, Boinnet said they were probably fake.
Independent Police Oversight Authority had earlier issued a press statement saying that they will probe cases of police misconduct and vowed to be non-partisan. The police watchdog asked witnesses and victims to come forth and provide information that could aid in their investigations.