All teachers employed by the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) in Kenya are required to file their income tax returns as individual residents via KRA iTax portal. TSC has uploaded P9 Forms on the pay slip portal to help teachers file their returns.
Tax return filing dates for teaches
Teachers are required to file tax returns for income earned for the previous year before 30th June of every year.
For example, tax income returns filed before 30th June 2021 should be for income earned between 1st January 2020 to 31st December 2020.
How to file tax returns for Teachers
To file tax returns follow the procedure provide below:
- Visit: KRA Itax portal
- Login with your pin and password
- Go to returns
- Select File Returns
- Select Income Tax-Resident Individual and click next tab
- Download the excel template and fill the tables
- Fill the details in the form with the help of the P9 Form
- Upload the excel after you have completed filling and validating it
Tax deduction forms (P9 Form) can be downloaded from TSC pay slip portal. Teachers on Internship who have no income to declare should file nil returns.
Deadline for filing teacher’s tax returns in Kenya is 29th June 2021. Penalties for late filing is a minimum of ksh. 20,000