If you search in this site you will come across an article I wrote, which has statistics of the number of teenagers on twitter and why many teenagers prefer using Facebook more than twitter. My assumption is that a large number of students in campus are not teenagers unless a few first years and second years. That made me to start conducting a research on how higher institutions of learning use their twitter handles to interact with students. The results of the study are surprising.
Some universities do no have twitter handles, others have twitter handles but they have never twitted nor followed anybody since they were created and others have more than three twitter handles, which makes it hard to identify an official one. The worst thing about fake university twitter accounts is that they have more followers than official twitter accounts.
Despite of the challenges, we found that there are some universities like Kenyatta University, United States International University, Strathmore University, Egerton University, Maseno University among others which are doing a great job on twitter. Some of the Top 10 Kenyan universities with highest numbers of followers on twitter 2014 are;
- Kenyatta university-@KenyattaUni- Followers (6, 247)
- Unite states international university-@USIUAfrica-followers (5216)
- Strathmore University-@StrathU- followers (4, 827)
- Egerton University-@EgertonCampus -followers (1,601)
- maseno university-@Maseo_Uni -followers(1,439)
- Moi University-@MoiUniversityKe-followers (996)
- Chuka University-@ChukaUni-followers (815)
- Nairobi University-@UniOfNbi- followers (765)
- Laikipia Univerist-@LaikipiaU-Followers (756)
- Technical University-@TU_Kenya Followers (678)
You can also follow me on twitter @nyakreal or through this link @nyakreal
Let us know through our Facebook page here kenyayote if you know of a university twitter handle that has high number of followers that we did not list or university twitter handle that we listed that is fake.
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.