Every student admitted to Kenyatta University must have a laptop that meets specifications highlighted elbow. That is according to a memo released by the institution.
Why a Laptop is Mandatory at Kenyatta University
According to Kenyatta University’s office of the academic registrar, all new and continuing students must have a laptop to facilitate online learning. The University says that some classes will be offered online while others will be offered face to face.
Kenyatta University Laptop Specifications
Students should buy laptops that have the following features as directed by the management:
- Operating system: Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
- Processor: Intel Core i3 or Core i5
- Memory: Ram of 4GB or 8 GB
- Storage: Hard drive of 500 GB or 1 TB
- Wi-Fi: wireless network of 802.11g or 802.11n
- Input and Output ports: 2x USB ports, VGA/HDMI PORT, Webcam, speakers, and microphone port.
- Software: Installed Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, and Antivirus
- Warranty: 1 year
Students are also required to buy a USB drive of either 8GB or 16 GB.
Brand new Intel Core i3 laptops vary in price from Ksh. 35,000 to 55,000. On the other hand, Core i5 laptops vary in price from Ksh. 45,000 to 70,000.
You might find a 50% cheaper option of a refurbished core i3 and core i5 laptop but since they are used, you need to carefully inspect them and find out which hardware has been modified and whether all parts are operational.
Important: When buying a new laptop, it does not come with any software installed. Therefore, negotiate with your seller to install for you Windows, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Reader at a price.