What follows is the procedure on how to pay for National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) monthly contributions via MPESA Paybill and how to register online.
Before we get into the procedure of making NHIF payments via MPESA here are some few things you may need to know;
You can manage your NHIF account from the comfort of your phone. Dial short code *263# and get started .
You can make your NHIF payments at any KCB, NBK, Equity and Co-op bank branches countrywide
You can take charge of your NHIF account via mobile by downloading the NHIF Wallet app (NHIF Mobile App )
How to pay NHIF contributions via MPESA PayBill (self-employed)
Below is a step by step procedure on how to pay for NHIF via Mpesa paybill for self-employed individuals:
- Click Mpesa option in your safaricom sim tool kit
- Then click Lipa na Mpesa
- Select PayBill option
- Enter Business no. 200222
- Enter Account no. (Type in contributor’s National Identity card Number)
- Enter amount Type in the amount you wish to contribute
- Enter pin Type in your M-pesa Pin
- Confirm all details are correct then press OK
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from Mpesa immediately.
You are done with your monthly payment. You can use the procedure to pay for penalties.
How to register for NHIF account for the self employed
- Visit NHIF registration portal
- Click Self Employed on the Menu
- Enter your National ID/Passport/Alien ID
- If the Provided ID id Valid, the System will allow you to continue.
- Fill in all form fields.
- Attach a Scanned Copy of Your ID/Passport/Alien Id.
- Attach Passport Photo.
- If married, attach Your Marriage Certificate.
- Click Save. If you filled in all fields, the application will be submitted
- The system will notify you of the Application Status
- The system will also send a Notification SMS to the Contributor’s Mobile Number
Frequently Asked NHIF Questions
QUESTION: How much does the self employed contribute per month?
ANSWER: Informal sector members pay Ksh. 500 per month.
QUESTION: How do i get my NHIF statement online?
ANSWER: You can write to email@example.com and request for your e-statement. Remember to include your ID number.
QUESTION: What are the penalties or fine for NHIF late payments?
ANSWER: Any late payment attracts a fine/penalty that is double the principle. However, members have two options, 1.) Paying the penalty and their a/c regularized OR 2.) Not paying the penalty but instead a/c’s will be restricted for 60 days where they will not be able to access any NHIF services. *When a member’s a/c has been dormant for more than 12 months, they only have option 2.
QUESTION: How to do i add my children and spouse?
ANSWER: To add dependants, you need to visit the nearest NHIF office with birth certificates of your children or waiting card for those under 6 months. For spouse, you need to present a marriage certificate or affidavit from magistrate.
Do you have any other National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) related inquiry. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit official website or portal http://www.nhif.or.ke
Lastly, do you have any question about this post or something else? We are responding. Ask us a question or register to join a community of thousands of members that receive latest education news.