OFFICE OF THE VICE-CHANCELLOR
(DIRECTORATE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS)
FIRE TRAGEDY IN MASENO UNIVERSITY
Maseno University today 10th October 2015 has experienced a tragedy of fire where some offices have burnt down.
Following the tragedy, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Partnership, Research and Innovations, Prof. Joseph Chacha, on behalf of the University management would like to state the following:
1. The fire started at around midnight of Thursday 10th October 2015.
2. Security guards on duty at the time have reported that they saw some few students throw objects at some offices and the students run away.
3. The cause of the fire has not been established yet. The police and the University are going on with the investigations to establish the cause of the fire and this will be communicated immediately it is established. If it established that anybody is responsible for this, appropriate legal action will be taken against such a person.
4. The fire burnt down part of Administration block specifically Central Registry, Central store, Finance office, and office of the Director, Students Affairs. Also partially burnt are the offices of Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Partnership, Research and Innovations (PRI) and Deputy Vice –Chancellor, Administration, Finance and Development (AFD).
5. Most of the property destroyed are the files containing staff information and finance information.
6. Nobody was injured by the fire and no life lost.
7. The fire has been put off by the fire brigade from Kisumu and no more fire at the moment.
8. The cost of the property burnt has not been established as at now. But this will be done and communicated in due course.
9. Students academic records are intact as they are kept in the office of Registrar Academic and Students Affairs which was not affected by the fire.
10. The University has not closed down. Lectures and other academic activities will continue as usual including the fourth coming graduation which is due on 4th December 2015. The University management has asked for calm among the students, staff and all other stakeholders as the concerned authorities carry out investigations. The students are calm and have resumed their lectures.
Director, Public Relations
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.