If you took a loan, be it HELB loan, bank loan or mobile loan and have not paid as per the repayment time terms, you might be blacklisted and listed as a defaulter by CRB. This article provides a guide on how to check CRB status in Kenya, how to get a CRB Report for free, how to contact crb, how to clear with CRB and get out of the defaulters list (CRB: Credit Reference Bureau).
Being listed as loan defaulter by CRB in Kenya
Whenever you borrow money from any financial institution or credit advancing facilities it is always advisable to ensure that you repay your loan on time no matter how small the amount. The Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) is a platform that enables employers and loan or credit providers to check your status payment status i.e. whether you are a defaulter of if you pay your dues. Failure to pay loans borrowed from lenders like M-Shwari may affect you in future since once you get blacklisted by the CRB, you will be barred from processing any bank loans in future unless you pay your loan.
How to Check CRB Status in Kenya
The first thing that you should do when checking your CRB status is to make sure that you are registered by either all or one of the three companies accredited by the Central Bank of Kenya that is TransUnion CreditInfo and Metropol. It is however important to ensure that you are registered with all the companies because a lender may at times send your report to all the three companies. Many employers and money lending institutions require a clearance certificate from CRB which is obtained after clearing with these three CRB credited companies.
How Check CRB status via Mobile App with TransUnion
I consider this the easiest, fastest ans best approach;
- Download TransUnion Nipashe app from Google Play store (For Android Users)
- Enter your ID number, Mobile Phone Number and names
- Check Status
- If GOOD! Message appears as shown in image the below then you are fine
NOTE: This process is absolutely free. If you need any further information than that then you need to pay kes 650. Getting a clearance certificate with Transunion will cost you Ksh. 2200.
To do this, you first have to visit the company’s website and register. The CRB certificate can be obtained later by sending the M-Pesa transaction text message to this mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checking CRB status via SMS with TransUnion
- Send your names to 21272
- Then, Enter your National ID number
- Choose CC (meaning Credit Status)
- You will then Receive your CRB status. Good will mean you are not while default will mean you are blacklisted
- Office Location: Prosperity House, Westlands Rd, Off Museum Hill in Westlands, Nairobi.
- Mobile Phone Number: +254 20 3751799 or 0730651000
- Email: email@example.com
- Official website: http://www.transunionnipashe.co.ke
Get CRB Status in Kenya with Metropol
To Register with Metropol,
- You will need to pay Ksh. 50 as registration fees through their Paybill number 220388 and use your national ID number as the account number.
- You will then receive an SMS with your unique PIN details, a Reference Number and a special Link
You will then proceed to get several services that are offered by the company charged at a fee for instance credit Score at kes150, Credit Report at kes250 and the Clearance Certificate at kes2200. Metropol services can also be obtained through their website, dialing*433# and through the Metropol crystobol app.
Metropol CRB Contacts
- Office Location: 9th Floor, Barclays Plaza, Loita street, Nairobi (Metropol Credit Reference Bureau Limited)
- Phone Number: +254709834000
- Official website: http://metropol.co.ke/
Do not miss all our latest updates on how to check your CRB status in Kenya