ENG 411 is a course that is introduces linguistics students to English stylistics. The course discuses about language varieties, types of language and different levels of language structure.
Summary of ENG 411
Divided into two
- Literary-gives additional information that helps in understanding the text
- Linguistic stylistics-identifies pattern of language in written and spoken text
Importance of stylistics devices
-sharpen our understanding and appreciation of literary works
-helps in translation
-help in giving judgment
Any bit of writing that you can feature out from a piece of writing. Types of features;
Common core feature & Multilevel features.
Levels of stylistic analysis
They are divided into five;
Graphetic features include italics, underlining, bolding, capitalization and font size
Phonetic appears in spoken language e.g voice
Graphological: Comprise of punctuations, spellings, arrangement of words, and spacing of words
Phonological: repetition of sounds, intonation, stress
Consider: inter sentential relationship, sentence psychology, sentence structure, clauses, word typology,
Looks at individual word and their pattern of combination
Meaning of entire text.
Lastly, do you have any question about this post, education related, or something else? We are responding.
Dimensions of linguistic Features
- Dimensions according to User (individuality , user of word fillers, dialect, time factor, similarity features)
- Dimensions according to use (medium of communication, nature of participation…)
- Linguistic contexts
- Complex medium
- News broadcast
- Feature of province-profession