Physical factors that influenced the location of MweaTeberre irrigation scheme are;
- Perennial rivers; Thiba, Nyamindi and Murubara that provided adequate water for irrigation.
- The Mwea plains have black cotton soils, with high water retention capacity, that are suitable for rice farming/growing.
- The area around Mwea experienced low, unreliable and poorly distributed rainfall hence not suitable for rain fed agriculture thus need for irrigation.
- Presence of loamy soils ensured cultivation of other crops to support families settle.
- Presence of gently sloping land which made it possible for irrigation farming.