New approved 2019 Kiswahili and English set books for secondary schools have been released by the ministry of education and KICD for the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE). The list of new Kiswahili Set books and English set books has been provided below.
Summary of Topics
The release of the new set book for the 2019 exams
The Ministry of education through its director sent a directive to all school principals and heads indicating that the new set books will replace those that were released in 2013. However, some of the set books will still be in use.
The new 2019 set books for high schools/secondary schools will run for a period of five years, that is from 2018 to 2023.
List of 2018-2023 Approved new set books for secondary schools
2019 English set books for secondary schools
- The new compulsory English novel is ‘BLOSSOMS OF THE SAVANNAH’ by Henry Ole Kulet, replacing ‘The River and The Source’
- ‘A DOLL’S HOUSE’ by Henrik Ibsen is the new play book, replacing ‘Caucasian Chalk Circle’ by Bertolt Brencht.
- The Pearl by John Steinbeck (Price: Ksh. 395) (Optional book)
- Memories we lost by Chris Wanjala (short stories) (Price: Ksh. 380) (Optional book)
- inheritance by David Mulawa (play) (Price: Ksh. 375) (Optional book)
NOTE: In the three optional books, students have to choose one.
2019 Kiswahili set books for secondary schools
- Chozi la Heri by Assumpta K. Matei (Price: Ksh. 345) replaces ‘Kidagaa Kimemwozoea’, as a compulsory book for the next four years.
- Kigogo by Pauline Kea Kyovi (Price: Ksh. 325) (New play)
- Tumbo Lisiloshiba na Hadithi Nyingine by Alifa Chokocho na Dumu Kayanda (Short stories0 (Price: Ksh. 420)
How to verify whether a set book is original
The set books are available books shops and textbook centers. Original books have a label at the footnote (bottom cover) indicated “Approved by KICD 2017 Edition.”
Students can also verify the authenticity of the textbook by scratching a security tag on the cover and sending the 16 digit pin number to 22776. You will then receive a sms notification confirming whether the book is original.
Where to download set book summary notes and guides
All Kiswahili and English secondary school set books are available at muthurwa.com. You can visit the page to download pdf.
Do not miss all our 2019 set book reviews, theme analysis and summaries