Nomadic pastoralists keep large herd of animals because;
- Animals are kept as a sign of wealth, the more the number of hooves the wealthier the home.
- Availability of large tracts of land for grazing due to the sparse population that supports large herds.
- Pests and diseases such as ticks and tsetse fly reduce the quality of the animals.
- Low quality local breeds that yield little milk and provide low quality meat this necessitates keeping of large animals.
- Frequent livestock raids/cattle rustling that reduces/ increases the cattle number.
- Low level of education and culture hinder them from practicing modern methods of livestock farming.