Gambling in Kenya: message to Sportpesa, Elitebet, Betway, Justbet betting addicts
The Gambling industry in Kenya is growing at a very fast rate. Its likely that in the next 2 years Gambling companies like Sportpesa, Elitebt, Betway, Justbet e.t.c will be among the top profit making firms in Kenya. Perhaps overtaking the likes of Safaricom.
The conversation that dominates in most universities in Kenya during weekends nowadays is about betting. For instance this valentine weekend the talk was “Only small boys are waiting for valentine. Real men are thinking on whether to bet for Arsenal or Leicester.”
Betting has been around for decades but the problem of addiction has worsened after Sportpesa entered the industry and started marketing. Betting addiction can strain relations, interfere with studies and lead to financial headaches. These may in turn make most of our students who engage in gambling to do things no one thought they will do like stealing money to bet or pay debts.
Warning signs of betting and experiences gamblers go through
- Bet up to your last coin
- Bet to win back the money you lost in your previous bet
- See betting as the best opportunity to make money online
- Growing debts with the hope that one day you will win a bet to repay them
- Sell your personal items to bet
- Steal to bet
- Betting alone thinking that your decisions are the best
- Boast to your friends about the few wins you have made but never talk about the many losses you are are making
- Avoid classes or study to analyze games for betting
- Jeopardize relationships to bet
- Attempting suicide after spending all your cash and selling at-least all your personal properties to bet.
- Less sleeping hours because you are thinking of the results of bets you placed
- Increasing levels of stress or depression because you have lost all your coins and
How to treat Betting/Gambling addiction
Compulsive gambling has been classified as a disease that needs treatment like any other addictive illness.
If you are betting or gambling to solve your money problem then be warned that you are “jumping from the frying pan to the fire”. The odds are always calculated against you. Therefore, its better to take a loan from somewhere else to solve your money problem than to gamble. We’ve got an article on where to get instant loans online in Kenya. You might be interested to read it here
Gambling is evil! It is not easy to stop but if you strongly feel that betting will work well for you despite all the above warnings then never bet what you cannot afford to lose.
NOTE: Alot of you have been asking about the sportpesa betting loan, we will do a comprehensive update about the same in our next post. Do not also miss to check our page on betting jobs in Kenya.