What follows is a list of email marketing services and platforms that are used by top 15 alexa ranked and highest paid bloggers in United Sates, UK, Australia, India e.t.c
Most of the bloggers listed below have been in the blogging business for over a decade. They have probably tested several email marketing services before deciding to settle on what they are currently using. Therefore, there is every reason to believe that the email marketing platform they are using meets the stands you are looking for or has good deliverability.
List of top ranked blogs and their founders:
- Neil Patel (Washington, US): founder of Neilpatel.com
- Pat Flynn (California, US): smartpassiveincome.com
- Adam Enfroy (Texas, US): adamenfroy.com
- Ryan Robinson (California, US): ryrob.com
- Alex Nerney (Texas, US): Createandgo.com
- Syed Balkhi (Florida, US): wpbeginner.com
- Chris Coyier (Oregon, US): css-tricks.com
- Vitaly Friedman (Freiburg, Germany): Smashingmagazine.com
- Lim Hong Kiat (Malaysia): hongkiat.com
- Darren Rowse (Melbourne, Australia): Problogger.com
- Michael A. Stelzner (CA, United States): socialmediaexaminer.com
- Brian Dean (Massachusetts, US): backlinko.com
- Jon Morrow (Texas, US): smartblogger.com
- Jeff Bullas (New South Wales, Australia): jeffbullas.com
- Harsh Agrawal (New Delhi, India): Founder shoutmeloud.com
Factors to Consider when selecting email marketing service
- Limitations: Some email marketing service providers prohibit certain contents because of their negative reputation and high spam complaint. Read the Acceptable Use Policy of each email marketing platform before you start using.
- Email Automation and Autoresponder: This is an email marketing feature which makes it possible to send email campaigns automatically. For instance, you can set emails to be sent to your subscribers every time you publish a post.
- Pricing: This is the cost of using the platform for email marketing. Consider how much the platform charges per subscriber.
- Templates: Check whether the email service provider has drag and drop email templates.
- API Integrations: These are the platforms that the email marketing services can integrate with. For instance, mobile apps, WordPress plugins, collaboration tools like g suite, Microsoft office 365 e.t.c
- Migration: Check whether the platform allows you to export your email list if you want to migrate to another service.
- Custom Branding and Authentication: Check whether the email service provider allows you to setup DMARC, SPF, and DKIM so that you can use your own brand name when sending campaigns.
- Email segmentation: Check whether the email marketing platform has market segmentation and targeting features. This will allow you to send campaigns according to subscriber interests.
- Reporting and stats: The email service provide should have features that make it easy for you to analyze click through rate and conversions.
- Bloggers Using Convertkit: neilpatel.com, smartpassiveincome.com, adamenfroy.com, ryrob.com and createandgo.com.
- Price: $29 monthly for 1000 subscribers (Lowest Plan). Free trial plan of 14 days which allows upto 1k subscribers.
- Official website: convertkit.com
- Bloggers using Mailchimp: wpbeginner.com, css-tricks.com, smashingmagazine.com and hongkiat.com
- Price: $9.9 monthly for 500 subscribers (Lowest Plan.). Free plan forever for upto 2k subscribers.
- Official website: www.mailchimp.com
- Bloggers using Aweber: problogger.com/podcast and backlinko.com
- Price: $19 per month for 500 subscribers (Cheapest Plan). Free trial plan for one month.
- Official website: www.aweber.com
- Bloggers Using Drip: socialmediaexaminer.com and Probloggercom
- Price: $19 per month for 500 subscribers (Lowest Plan). Free trial plan of 14 days which allows upto 500 subscribers.
- Official website: www.drip.com
infusionsoft by Keap
- Bloggers using Infusionsoft: smartblogger.com and jeffbullas.com
- Price: $79/mo for 500 subscribers (Lowest Plan with additional features other than email marketing). Free trial plan for 14 days
- Official website: www.keap.com
- Blogger using Jetpack Subscription: shoutmeloud.com
- Pricing: Free forever, no custom branding (domain), No importing email lists, No segmentation, No custom automation. Emails will be automatically sent by @wordpress.com once you publish a new post.
- Official website: jetpack subscriptions (Jetpack Plugin Needed)
- Best Free Alternative: You can use google feed burner as an alternative of Jetpack Subscription if you don’t want to install jetpack plugin or are not using WordPress.
Our Recommendation approach: There are plenty of options available when it comes to email marketing platforms. Deciding on which one to use can be challenging for beginners. That is why we have provided a simple list of what established bloggers use.
GDPR Compliance: This is your responsibility as an email marketer. Ensure that you only send emails to people that have opted in. Also add op-out (unsubscribe) link in your email campaigns. If you are using 3rd parties like CRMs systems, transactional email tools e.t.c, audit how data is stored, shared and how it flows through their system.
Warning: If you are a bulk or cold mailer, don’t waste your time using email marketing companies. Your account will be burned or blocked. Just build your own email marketing system using smtp service. By cold mailer, I mean those people who send emails to subscribers that have not opted in.