Ways poverty undermined economic development in Tanzania since independence include;
- It has reduced the purchasing power of many people/unable to access goods/services
- It has made it difficult for Tanzania to compete favourably with other countries.
- It has resulted to dependency on foreign aid /loans
- It has made it difficult to fully exploit the resources/mineral/land.
- It has led to low infrastructure development/roads/railways.
- Led to slow industrial growth as people's purchasing power is low.