Reasons why fresh water fishing is more popular than marine fishing in East Africa are;
- There are enormous fishing grounds e.g. L. Victoria, L Albert, L. Naivasha, L Tanganyika which are accessible to many people.
- Fresh water fish are popular with high demand among the people encouraging more inland fishing.
- Fresh water fishing requires simpler methods affordable by majority of fisherman in E. Africa.
- Most inland fishing ground are rich in Plankton hence encouraging fish breeding.
- High population in some places such a L. Vitoria offers the much need market.
- Government support e.g. setting up processing plants ad cooing plants have encouraged more fishing.