Step by Step guide on how to fill Tax return for the unemployed/student or recent graduates and employed.
Did you know that if you don’t file KRA tax return form whether you are employed or not you will be fined ksh. 10,000? This is not a one time fine and yet you can avoid it.
Below is a step by step guide on how to go about it and avoid unnecessary fines if you are jobless and at one point had acquired a KRA pin for HELB or other purposes.
Some questions that will be answered in the below step by step guide
Question: I am unemployed but I have a PIN. Do I need to file returns?
- Answer: Yes, PIN holders with no source of income need to file a Nil return
Question: Will i pay the fine if i am unemployed?
- Answer: If you file the Nil Return for those who are not employed you will not be fined
Question: Once I file online, do I need to visit KRA offices?
- Answer: No, you will receive an acknowledgment receipt of your filed return. Just download and you are done
Question: If i registered for a KRA pin this year do i need to file returns
- Answer: You will file next year;after 12 months return period
SECTION 1: Step by Step Guide on how to file Tax returns for unemployed/students
Type https://itax.kra.go.ke and you be directed to the KRA portal where you will enter your KRA Pin or USER ID. Enter and log in with your iTax password. If you have forgotten your password, retrieve one using „ FORGOT PASSWORD‟ option on the bottom right of the iTax portal page.
After Login. You will be directed to a page that has a red top menu as shown below.
Place your cursor (mouse pointer) on the ‘RETURNS” page and a drop down menu will appear. Below the drop down menu you will see “FILE NILL RETRUNS.” For the unemployed that is where you are supposed to click and you will be directed to a page that looks like the one below.
Fill by entering:
- Tax obligation: Income Tax-Resident Individual
The click Next and you be directed a page like this below
Fill by entering:
- Wife Pin: (Leave blank if you don’t have one filing returns)
- Return Period: 01/01/2016
- Return Period: 31/12/2016 (this section will fill itself automatically once you click the small calendar on the right)
Click Submit. On successful submission, the message below will be displayed:
Click download Returns Receipt to download. You are done after downloading.
SECTION 2: FOR EMPLOYED
Filing Of Income Tax Individual Return For the Employed procedure is Available Here
Do miss our latest 2017 updates on KRA Income Tax Return filing!